Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Sometimes, You Watch the Movie

 

Photo by Adrian Swancar on Unsplash

I have more to do than I can possibly do in the time available to me.

A big part of that problem is being a “yes man.” I derive a lot of personal satisfaction and self-worth from helping other people solve their problems. It’s part of why I studied engineering in school. It’s part of why I help companies apply for grants, and why I write software.

Even as I write this short missive, I’m responding to text messages, prepping for a meeting, and jotting down some ideas as they come to me.

Can you say, “major focus issues?”

I have a desire to be so productive that it often becomes counterproductive. Daily, often minute-by-minute, I jump from one thing to the next. It’s been a bad habit 24 years in the making.

The solution?

Watch a movie.

Alright, that’s not a great solution (most of the time). However, life can’t always be about getting stuff done. Sometimes, you do have to relax. Sometimes, you have to give you brain permission to do something other than try to solve your own or other people’s problems. Sometimes, you do the thing that, on the surface, doesn’t make the most sense because it actually does make the most sense.

For example, with all I have to do most days, it would make the most sense for me to roll out of bed and straight into my office chair where my fingers would fly over the keyboard for hours on end writing poetic code, responding to emails with perfect grammar and brevity, and helping every helpless soul who walks through my office door conquer the metaphorical alligators chomping at their ankles.

Except that it doesn’t make the most sense. It makes sense, instead, for me to roll out of bed, have a quick protein bar, and go for a run. It’s a simple way for me to ensure I can better manage the anxiety that is with me from the time my eyes pop open (often before 4:00 am) until I collapse in bed sometimes 20 hours later.*

We all need things that equate to giving ourselves permission to watch a movie.

  • Maybe it’s simply setting a timer for a short 10 to 15 minute break where you can listen to music, doodle in a notebook, go on a walk, or just breathe. Those short breaks can serve as a kind of mental reset to make you more productive.
  • Like talking a walk, perhaps the mental preparation comes with a little more rigorous movement; engaging in something that requires significant physical effort. Even brief bursts of effort can wake up the mind and improve mood and productivity.
  • Some people are fond of meditation. If that’s not your jam, perhaps taking a few moments (as suggested above) to just breathe. Four or five feel-your-belly expand breaths are all that’s needed to calm the nerves and increase focus.

We can’t make progress on a particular task without putting effort into it, but the counterintuitive truth is that sometimes walking away for a moment can increase the likelihood that you’ll be able to finish the task.

It’s okay to allow yourself time to recharge. Really.

Go watch a movie.

*Yes, and I know that it makes even more sense to fix my sleep. Yes, I know that sleeping better will lessen my anxiety. I’m working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment